The Personal Helpers and Mentors, employed by Worklink, will support participants in their recovery journey, building long-term relationships and providing holistic support. They will ensure that services accessed by participants are coordinated, integrated and complementary to other services in the community. A Personal Helper and Mentor:

  • helps participants to better manage their daily activities and reconnect to their community
  • provides direct and personalised assistance through outreach services
  • provides referrals and links with appropriate services such as drug and alcohol and accommodation services
  • works with participants in the development of Individual Recovery Plans which focus on participants' goals and recovery journey
  • engages and supports family, carers and other relationships, and
  • monitors and reports progress against each participant's Individual Recovery Plan

A person does not need to have a formal clinical diagnosis of a severe mental illness to be able to access the service.

Personal Helpers and Mentors assist people aged 16 years and over whose ability to manage their daily activities and to live independently in the community is impacted because of a severe mental illness.

Potential participants are required to reside in the postcodes allocated in each site. Service providers will have strategies to engage those who are homeless or transient within each site.

To be eligible for PHaMs a person must:

  • Be 16 years of age or over.
  • Score 3 or more on the Eligibility Screening Tool (EST) assessing the impact of mental illness alone.
  • Be willing to participate in the service voluntarily and able to make an informed decision to participate.
  • Complete the FaHCSIA provided data transfer consent form.
  • Be willing to address any dual diagnosed/co morbid drug and alcohol issues during the course of participation on the program.
  • Reside in the postcodes allocated for your particular site*.
  • Not be restricted in their ability to fully and actively participate in the community because of their residential setting.
  • Not be receiving or entitled to receive non-clinical community support similar to PHaMs through the state or territory government as a result of their detention or incarceration.

So, talk to your local PHaMs worker. Their details can be found on the contact us page. They will ask some questions about what is happening in yourr life to work out if they can help. You don't need to have been to a doctor about what is happening in your life to join PHaMs.